Science classes utilize computer lab research projects; lab activities; hands-on experiments; lab dissections; the large ActivBoard for on-line sessions; field trips; captioned videos; teacher-made worksheets, tests, and quizzes. Students also work on plans for their science fair projects. Themes covered by each grade are listed below. The 8th grade students take the Minnesota MCA II Science test.
6th Grade General Science:
Text Series: American Guidance Services (AGS)
- The Nature of Science & Technology introductory areas
- Physical Science: Metric System, Structures of Matter, Elements/Chemical Reactions, Energy & Motion, Simple Machines, Heat, Sound & Light, Electricity & Magnetism
- Earth Science: Describing the Earth, Introduction to Minerals and Rocks, Earth’s Water and Atmosphere, The Solar System.
- Life Science: Living Things Are Alike, Classifying Animals and Plants, Ecology
- Themes: Periodic Table, Simple Machines, The Solar System Project, Animal Classifications, and science reports
7th Grade Life Science:
Text Series: Pearson/ Prentice Hall Life Science Explorer
- From Bacteria to Plants: Living Things, Viruses and Bacteria, Protists and Fungi, Introduction to Plants and Seeds.
- Animals: Sponges, Cnidarians, Worms, Mollusks, Arthropods, Echinoderms, Fishes, Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds, and Mammals.
- Human Biology: Bones, Muscles, and Skin; Food and Digestion; Circulation; Respiration and Excretion; Fighting Diseases; Nervous System and Endocrine System.
- Themes: Microscopic Lab, 15 Arthropod Collection Project/Poster/Craft Model, Food Digestion Research, and science reports
8th Grade Earth Science:
Text Series: Pearson/Prentice Hall Earth Science Explorer
- Environmental Science: Populations and Communities, Ecosystems and Biomes, Living Resources, Land, Water, and Air Resources, and Energy Resource
- Earth Waters: Fresh Water, Freshwater Resources, Ocean Motions, and Ocean Zones
- Earth’s Changing Surface: Mapping Earth’s Surfaces : Maps/ Topography, Weathering and Soil Formation, Erosion and Deposition, and Fossils
- Inside Earth: Plate Tectonics, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Minerals, and Rocks
- Weather and Climate: The Atmosphere, Weather Factors, Weather Patterns, and Climate and Climate Change
- Themes: Biomes Project, Ocean Floor Models, Topography/Contour Line Model, Volcano Experiments, Weather Report Poster/Video, and science reports